Tuesday 19 February 2013

16. Environmental Controls

The man who installed and has maintained my Environmental Controls retires this month; I shall feel bereft! Doubtless there will be a replacement for him, but things just won't be the same! He has 'been around' right from the start - when I was discharged home in 2000, and it gave me a sense of security knowing that he would fix any faults or add anything new I got to my existing system. This 'loss' set me thinking - how my attitude to this has changed over the years!
I had never heard the term before. Environmental Controls. I don't even remember what I imagined, when they were mentioned to me - soon after I arrived in the rehabilitation unit. I do remember vividly being very resistant to the idea. It was tantamount to giving-up!  I was visited one afternoon by the Senior Registrar (a very nice, very earnest lady), who suggested I might try 'Environmenal Controls'. I was indignant! Be dependent on a machine? Never! The ability to switch a light off, turn the TV on, or open the curtains was still fresh in my mind. I could see no reason why, given time and hard work, I shouldn't do them again. Naive optimist!
Whenever I was in bed, or sitting up in a chair, I was rigged up to a metal box, which was divided into sections, each with a little light. These lit up in sequence, with an electronic voice announcing each function. With the help of this, I could call a nurse, switch on a light, turn on the fan or the TV. Bear in mind that this was 1999, and it did seem pretty basic. But it did give me some level of independence, even though I felt 'tethered', and  even though I used it with grudging gratitude.
When it was time for me to be discharged home, I was visited by some-one from Social Services, who showed me a much more up-to-date version. This was far more acceptable! Much smaller and portable  - and here's the bonus - and it wouldn't speak to me! I felt a whole lot better about it.I could have certain things (e.g. the TV, radio, automated curtains, telephone) programmed 'into' it, and could have radio-controlled plugs/sockets for smaller items (e.g. table-lamps, fans) - and a light and beep showed which would be activated. Much more discreet. And genuinely useful
Over  the months and years I warmed to 'my box'. I had one for use in the daytime and one for at night. I wear the 'day-box' around my neck, (and operate it with my fingers - or on a bad day with my fist!), and  I have a pillow-switch for operating the 'night-box'. I would not be without 'environmental controls' now. I think it could be said that I am a convert. I look around me, working out what else can be automated; - I must be an environmentalist's nightmare as so many things are on 'stand-by'!
How my attitude has changed over the many years that I have been paralysed. I have learned that - in this case anyway - 'mind over matter' doesn't work, and I need all the help I can get. Environmental Controls are a great help. With them I have a level of independence far greater than would ever be possible without them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment