Saturday 24 March 2012

3.How many (people) does it take to ...?

Recently, when I was feeling rather 'down', I began considering just how much was involved in keeping me alive and 'functioning'. Following the latest reports on the radio, of the neglect of some elderly people, I also started wondering how long I would last without the input of others. That gave me the heebie-jeebies, so I soon stopped that particular game and returned to my original musings. 

I concluded that there are three main 'things' on which I am dependent: Electricity, Computers and People.


There are rows of chargers in my house! One for the wheelchair, one for the hoist and two for the environmental controls. Even such ordinary items as the toothbrush and the phone have their own chargers. In addition, although the environmental controls work by sending radio-signals, the devices they control require electricity to power them. So, in addition to the obvious things like the TV and table-lamps, there is also the door-opener and alarm - without which I am not, strictly speaking, safe to be left alone. So, without electricity I am really stuck ...unable to do anything except sit and watch the world go by.
We have had computers (of increasing sophistication) in the house for most of my married life. I used to hate the computer. With a passion!  Now it is my lifeline, and I would hate to be without it. With it I can keep in touch with folk (either by email or skype), I can catch up with radio TV and film, and I can make the lists - for which I am famed within my circle - which keep some semblance of order in my life. I also organise my finances and pay my employees' wages - with Internet Banking, and shop for groceries, gifts and other goodies on-line. I was even able to study with the Open University last year, courtesy of the electronic delivery of the Course Material ...and of course, there's now this! In short, the computer enables me to carry on doing many 'normal' things.
Last of all, and the biggest group, is People. I have a team of six 'personal assistants ' (carers), a housekeeper, and a gardener. My GP, other Doctors, District Nurses, my Counsellor, other Health-Professionals...they are all involved in caring for me - to varying degrees. Then, of course, my close family, my extended family, and my friends are all an incredibly important part of my wellbeing. A veritable army involved in my welfare!
It reminds me of the old joke - 'how many (whatever) does it take to change a light-bulb?'    In this case - one heck of a lot!
I'm awfully glad somebody, somewhere, thinks I'm worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Another great post Margaret! We certainly think you are worth it. Lots of Love! J & E2.x

    ReplyDelete