Thursday 10 May 2012

6. This week I shall be discussing mostly: yoga

I don't think a day goes past without my being thankful for having practised yoga for the twelve years before my stroke ...

I was one of life's 'duffers' (now there's  an old-fashioned word!). I was useless at sport, and disliked any form of physical exercise. Then one day - while I was still a young Mum, some-one suggested I go to a yoga class. I liked the way we were all encouraged to do 'just as much as you are comfortable with' and 'don't try to emulate your neighbour'. Before long, my muscles were strong, my joints supple, and my body felt steadier than it had ever felt previously. I had found something at which I could do well, and spent the next twelve years either as a student in a class, or as the leader of a group practising yoga (it is to my everlasting shame and regret that I never became a qualified yoga teacher.) 

After the stroke, I was visited (as was everyone else) twice a day by the physiotherapist, to carry out passive stretching  exercises. These were dreaded by most people, who regarded them as a form of torture. I, on the other hand, positively welcomed them - and enjoyed the sensation of having all my limb-muscles given a good stretch. I am convinced that this was because I was used to regular stretching, and passive or not, these exercises fulfilled my continuing need for them. 
Likewise, many stroke survivors (I among them) endure muscle spasms, and most of these are very painful. Although the spasms I have are a diabolical nuisance, even an embarrassment, I get no pain. I feel sure that it's because my muscles are used to being well-stretched. I have to confess that I have, on occasion, purposely 'set-off' a spasm...just to feel some strength in an arm or a leg.
Yoga has taught me Relaxation. It's quite a skill - not just 'taking it easy'. A physiotherapist told me some time ago that it is more possible to get a little movement from a relaxed muscle - rather than trying to force it. She's right! Counter-intuitive though it undoubtedly is, and extremely difficult, I do manage to persuade the tiniest (but occasionally the most useful) of movements from my otherwise useless limbs...by consciously relaxing them before I try.
The relaxation techniques I learned were also immensely helpful for dealing with all the horrible things I have had done to me over the years - many of which (although not all) have been hospital procedures. I can't do the breathing discipline properly  - as I have no voluntary control over it, but I can manage to control my muscles a bit. From time to time I still call upon the techniques I learned all those years ago.
It makes my blood boil when I hear anti-yoga comments (such as 'it is spiritually dangerous'), or stories of classes being banned from being held in church halls 'because it is practising a foreign religion'. I have even heard it said that 'emptying your mind risks the devil getting in'. What tosh! It is true that yoga has its roots in Eastern philosophies, but there are many 'arms' to the practice of yoga - one of which is the exercise 'arm'. It is this form of exercise which has been embraced by many of us in the West. In any case, there are many parallels to be found between these Eastern philosophies, and the mainstream religions. As for the devil ...God is big enough to deal with him, surely? I would argue that this fear suggests an insecurity with the beliefs of those who voice it ...but my days of theological argument are long gone!
My (passive) range of movement continues to astonish therapists and carers alike, and I feel sure that my lack of contractures is in no small part due to my earlier practice of yoga. I cannot speak highly enough of it and would recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment